Clay-Chalkville High School reflects the pride and commitment of an exceptional community. Home of the Cougars, Clay-Chalkville High was established on August 14, 1996. During the historic 1996-97 inaugural year, two administrators, 72 teachers and staff, and 856 students grades 9 to 11 began a legacy of excellence. The school is now the largest of 17 high schools in Jefferson County School System, the second-largest of 127 school systems in the state of Alabama. It currently serves a student body of 1400, in grades 9 to 12, with a faculty and staff of over 115 members.
Located off Deerfoot Parkway near Old Springville Road, a growing area northeast of Birmingham, CCHS is the first high school in the district that did not replace an existing school. It has been equipped with new resources, none transferred from other schools. To date, it is the largest stucco construction to be awarded a bid in Jefferson County. Bill Harbert Construction Company contracted the 179,000 square foot facility for $15 million.
David Volkert and Associates designed an imaginative, one-level steel structure with 53 classrooms, 4 computer labs, 4 science labs, choral room, band room, media center, fine arts room, video production studio, food court, practice and spectator gymnasiums, 650 seat auditorium, and 766 spaces for parking. The school has a baseball, softball, football, and practice field. The stadium seating, removed from the former site of Shades Valley High, another Jefferson County school, was reconstructed and refurbished for Clay-Chalkville High.
The impressive 9,880 sq. ft. media center is a focal point for the school. It overlooks an outdoor amphitheatre through a curved wall of windows. The auditorium has a fully complemented stage with fly tower and scene room. The science labs, video production studios, and sunken spectator gymnasium rival those of a college setting.
WELCOME to Clay-Chalkville High School - a school second to none!